[Users] Installation Problem

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Wed May 12 09:27:02 CDT 2021

Hello Jaime,

> I am new to all of this, so let me apologize if this questions has
> been already asked or if its solution is obvious: I have done some
> search and I have seen this question has been asked before
> (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2069/connection-failures-to-svncactuscodeorg__;!!DZ3fjg!pUS7NURSxrB3KdkVijObv0UH1-ygZLCZAvKM6GObzUx9r2rFDnUpX0NVHNI-eeJv$
>  <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2069/connection-failures-to-svncactuscodeorg__;!!DZ3fjg!pUS7NURSxrB3KdkVijObv0UH1-ygZLCZAvKM6GObzUx9r2rFDnUpX0NVHNI-eeJv$
> >) but I cannot understand what should I do to fix it. I have never
> >worked with SVN so I understand, basically, nothing.

This seems to me to be a slightly different problem. The svn server
you try to connect to that is shown in the error message is actually

https://github.com/EinsteinToolkit/ExternalLibraries-hwloc.git/branches/ET_2020_11

while the ticket refers to the server svn.cactuscode.org .

> The problem is, when I try to download the ET, most of the packages
> install correctly, but some of them deliver this error:
>
> Could not checkout module ExternalLibraries/hwloc
> svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
> 'https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/EinsteinToolkit/ExternalLibraries-hwloc.git/branches/ET_2020_11__;!!DZ3fjg!pUS7NURSxrB3KdkVijObv0UH1-ygZLCZAvKM6GObzUx9r2rFDnUpX0NVHEvpLr80$
> ' svn: E120171: Error running context: An error occurred during SSL
> communication
>
> I have tried installing again SVN, this is my current version: svn,
> version 1.11.1 (r1850623)

My guess is that your issue could be:

https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2396/potential-issue-with-github-svn-checkouts

and basically boils down to GitHub's svn servers (they do allow access
via svn, not just git) occasionally just report a repository as being
empty.

In that case my suggestion is to manually remove the directories like
hwloc in:

Cactus/arrangements/ExternalLibraries

and try once more after a couple of minutes (since those issues tended
to be some sort of rate limit by GitHub and resolved themselves once
the rate of access dropped).

There also were issues for a long time that Apple's svn (or actually
OpenSSL) was too old / did not trust the required certificates and
checkouts would fail. Catalina (10.15) ought to be fine, and I at least
for my test system with Catalina's build in svn (version 1.10.4
r1850624) it works right now:

svn co 'https://github.com/EinsteinToolkit/ExternalLibraries-hwloc.git/branches/ET_2020_11'

it also works with BigSur (11.X) and svn from homebrew (version 1.14.1
r1886195).

If it still fails for you after removing the directories in
ExternalLibraries, then you may want to enter the URL it shows in the
error message in a browser to see if the URL is accessible there
(should be just a directory listing).

It would also help if you could provide information on how you
installed svn (eg macports, homebrew, from source) and if you can
access any other svn server (using https) eg does this:

svn info https://svn.einsteintoolkit.org/cactus/EinsteinExamples/

or this

svn info https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk

work?