[Users] a problem met in running the sample code "Binary, inspiraling neutron stars forming a hypermassive neutron star" on Jimmy's own work station

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Tue May 25 09:56:12 CDT 2021

Hello Jimmy,

the --procs and --num-threads options are only used by the submit (and
create-submit and run and create-run) sub-commands. Using them with the
"build" command will not have any effect.

"-Roe" is a raw Cactus option (see
http://einsteintoolkit.org/usersguide/UsersGuide.html#x1-176000D though -R still needs to be document) it must be added to the "RunScript" file in configs/sim/RunScript just after the "@EXECUTABLE@" placeholder ie:

mpirun -np @NUM_PROCS@ @EXECUTABLE@ -L 3 @PARFILE@

becomes

mpirun -np @NUM_PROCS@ @EXECUTABLE@ -Roe -L 3 @PARFILE@

Simfactoy documentation can be found here:

http://simfactory.org/info/documentation/

and

https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Simulation_Factory_Advanced_Tutorial

though both are somewhat difficult to use.

However if you only ever used --procs and --num-threads with build then
the reason for the code to fail is this. Namely you must use --procs
and --num-threads with the submit command.

Looking at the start of the error file that you included:

--8<--
export CACTUS_NUM_PROCS=2
export CACTUS_NUM_THREADS=26

mpirun -np 2 /home/bai/simulations/bns_merger_3/SIMFACTORY/exe/cactus_sim -L 3 /home/bai/simulations/bns_merger_3/output-0000/nsnstohmns.par
--8<--

there are 2 MPI executable started and the expected number of MPI ranks
(2) is recorded correctly in CACTUS_NUM_PROC.

In the *.out file there will be lines like this (not all next to each
other):

INFO (Carpet): MPI is enabled
INFO (Carpet): Carpet is running on 6 processes
INFO (Carpet): This is process 0
INFO (Carpet): OpenMP is enabled
INFO (Carpet): This process contains 2 threads, this is thread 0
INFO (Carpet): There are 12 threads in total
INFO (Carpet): There are 2 threads per process
INFO (Carpet): This process runs on host ekohaes8, pid=22663
INFO (Carpet): This process runs on 12 cores: 0-5, 12-17
INFO (Carpet): Thread 0 runs on 12 cores: 0-5, 12-17
INFO (Carpet): Thread 1 runs on 12 cores: 0-5, 12-17

and you should check that these match what you expect.

You may also want to make sure that there are no "leftover" Cactus
processes around (ie when not running a simulation, "top" does not show
any cactus_sim).

The very many level 1 errors and the duplicate lines in the ascii
output file are almost certainly due to the simulation being started
twice, which in turns is probably due to mismatching MPI stacks, yes.

You can set:

IO::abort_on_io_errors = "yes"

which will make Cactus abort on errors from HDF5 instead of trying to
continue.