[Users] [External] Re: Running with SLURM

Warren, Jessica Sawyer warrenjs at iun.edu
Wed Aug 10 11:43:50 CDT 2022

Hi Roland,

Thank you so much.  The compute nodes are able to be used for compilation, and the directories match what is listed in make.MPI.defn.  When doing the 'hello' example you linked to, it was unable to compile due to a linker error (/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmpi_cxx).  I re-ran it in verbose mode and found the directory it was searching did exist and did have lmpi but not lmpi_cxx.  The admins said they had had some issues installing openmpi (couldn't recall exactly what), and recommended mpavich (since that does have lmpicxx installed and is their preferred implementation).  However, they reinstalled openmpi in an effort to get that to work and it did allow the 'hello' script to compile, but when executed it produced:

No OpenFabrics connection schemes reported that they were able to be
used on a specific port.  As such, the openib BTL (OpenFabrics
support) will be disabled for this port.

  Local host:           h1
  Local device:         mlx5_0
  Local port:           1
  CPCs attempted:       rdmacm, udcm
Hello world from processor h1.quartz.uits.iu.edu, rank 0 out of 1 processors

Similarly, doing the TOV job via sbatch, after the srun command it gave the same OpenFabrics message (for each MPI rank) and then the same segmentation faults as before.  I've contacted the admins about this and am waiting to hear back.  Do you have any recommendations - perhaps it would be easier to try switching over to mvapich?  If so, could you point me to some resources on how to reconfigure?

Thank you,
Jessica

Dr. Jessica S. Warren
Physics Lecturer