[Users] meeting minutes for 2022-08-25

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 25 10:04:13 CDT 2022

Present: Roland, Peter, Keith, Zach, Beyhan, Leo, Gabriele, Yosef

new ET modules:
* Zach reviewed FLRW solver, thumbs up for does no harm
** Roland to look at file not found error during compile
* no news on Canuda review
* Peter is reviewing SelfForce1D, thumbs up for harm
* NRPyEllipticET, Leo provided reviewers with parfile
** Leo to contact reviewers

Functionality to retire:
* keep ongoing list in wiki
* Roland will push pull request that remove use of "REQUIRES THORNS"
  from current ET thorns

Questions on mailing list:
* nothing new

Open tickets:
* Zach reported
  https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2635 that
  contains a compile time warning about working only with Cartesian
  grid, suggests removal

* New ticket https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2634/
  mentioning lack of documentation on CCTK_BUILTIN_EXPECT

* Two tickets on SummationByParts assigned to Peter,
  https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2633 and
  https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2632

* Roland filed a ticket about non-conforming handling of initial data
  selection parameters
  https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2631 . Zach
  provided some recap that setting shift to 0 rather than using
  LORENE's shift gives better evolution, in particular much less
  eccentricity. Gabriele suggests adding a comment about this to the
  gallery example BNS parfile, instead of using LORENE's shift.

* Zach and Gabriele suggest adding warning about this to code, also
  suggest adding similar runtime warning for other settings that we
  expect to produce failures or strange results

* Gabriele brought
  up https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2629 . Had a
  discussion on how to handle scheduling to compute a quantity every N
  steps. Roland to send email about what he recollects about doing this
  in EVOL vs ANALYSIS to the mailing list.

No ET call next week due to overlap with EU ET summer school.

chair next time: Peter
minutes next time: Leo