[Users] Meeting minutes for December 1st 2022

Bruno Giacomazzo bruno.giacomazzo at unimib.it
Thu Dec 1 10:16:02 CST 2022

Dear All,
   here are the minutes from today's meeting. Sorry if I missed someone or
something.

Present: Bruno Giacomazzo, Steven Brandt, Roland Haas, Peter Diener,
Beyhan, Artectek, Keith Dow, Zachariah Etienne, Gabriele Bozzola, Leo Rosa
Werneck, Allen Wen, Yosef Zlochower

Chair: Leo
Minutes: Bruno

*ET release recap
Roland provided a recap. The delay was due to the addition of an Intel
Compiler 19 workaround for GRHydro (it seems that there is a compiler bug
that cannot recognize properly that arrays were initialized). In the future
we also need a release co-chair because it is becoming too much work for
just one person. It was a very large release with 3 new contributions and a
large list of contributors with many students contributing to the testing.

Steve thinks we need to better recognize the work done by the release chair
since it is a lot of work. Moreover there is always some missing point in
the documentation regarding how to manage a new release.
Zach agrees with what Steve said.
We all thank Roland for his work for this release.

**missing tests in the new release
Roland pointed out that Canuda does not have a testsuite. We did not notice
it during the release.

*Next ET release chair search
The search has begun. Any volunteers?
Leo is thinking about it, but he is looking for a co-chair

*Open tickets:
<https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2670/refinement-prolongation-all-points-must>
(opened
by Artectek): it seems to be a failure in the Carpet grid division
algorithm happening after regridding, but Roland does not have an idea of
what is causing this. Nobody has seen this error before. Roland pointed out
that the sum of dens reported in INFO is ~1e-4 while the maximum of dens in
~1e-3, but this may be OK since the sum is the sum of the values weighted
by the grid spacing (to get the integral one would need to multiply the sum
by the coarsest grid spacing). Roland suggests having a look at the output
for dens. Artectek says that he did have a look at the output using the
script in the gallery example and the NSs are still there. Artectek's
simulation is based on the BNS gallery example.
Gabriele suggests starting from the gallery example and changing only one
parameter at a time. Artectek said that he only changed the EOS and the
grid setup for the initial separation of the NSs.  Roland suggests to run
with the same EOS of the gallery example (gamma law) and just change the
grid setup. If this works then Gabriele suggests trying with a piecewise
polytropic EOS.
Roland suggests producing a checkpoint at the iteration before the error
appears so that by looking at the checkpoint maybe we can understand what
is happening. Gabriele also noted that the memory requirement for the run
is 11 GB, which seems to be very low for a BNS. It could be that there are
too few points maybe shared through too many MPI processes (and therefore
each MPI may have too small grids). Gabriele and Roland therefore suggest
running it on only one node as a first test. Leo also suggests checking
that the NS is fully inside the finest grid (but this would probably give
errors in C2P and not in regridding, since regridding is done also if the
NS was fully contained).

<https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2671/add-instuctions-for-what-information-to>:
Roland says that it would be useful to make it more clear to users which
information to share when encountering problems with the Einstein Toolkit.

<https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2665/two-open-pull-requests-in>:
it was opened by Gabriele. There seems to be a couple of typos in the
documentation of the TOV Solver and there was a pull request to fix it.

*Call for new contribution proposals
Fishbone-Moncrief gallery example
Elliptica reader (and solver timeline) ticket
FUKA reader announcement

Roland said that Elliptica and FUKA should be included in the next release
and we need to ping their authors. The  Fishbone-Moncrief gallery example
was done recently and it should be included.

*simfactory website repo server migration
Steve said it is going to be moved from svn to git.

*ET Jenkins replacement status update
Roland said that we used to run tests on Jenkins, but there was the idea to
move to git actions. Some students worked on this and it seems to be
working fine. See einsteintoolkit.github.io/tests/ (it runs on github
resources that we can access for free since the einstein toolkit has an
academic license and therefore we do not need to manage virtual machines by
ourselves as we do now). Github action also builds documentation every day.

*ET seminar and hackathon search
Roland says that we should start these again. Any volunteers for seminars?
What about a tutorial on NRPY Elliptic?

*NRPy+ plans
Zach said that Steve and Zach's group would like to get together for future
plans since Steve has a very nice fork of NRPY that improves users'
interaction. Zach also has his own fork with some infrastructure
improvements. Steve is also looking for a student to work on NRPY (see
Steve's announcement on the einstein toolkit mailing list).

*EOS plans call recap
postponed to next call since we ran out of time

*SPECv8 update
postponed to next call since we ran out of time

*Unanswered questions
postponed to next call since we ran out of time

*tickets ready for review:
postponed to next call since we ran out of time

Next call (December 8):
Chair: Peter
Minutes: Steve

Cheers,
Bruno

--

Prof. Bruno Giacomazzo
Department of Physics

email: bruno.giacomazzo at unimib.it
phone: (+39) 02 6448 2321
web: http://www.brunogiacomazzo.org

Those who understand binary, and those who don't