[Users] Meeting minutes for 2022-12-08

Steven R. Brandt sbrandt at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Dec 14 09:12:46 CST 2022

Present: Steve, Roland, Keith, Yosef, Sam, Zach, Gabriele, Leo

Next ET release chair search: Leo, deputy chair: Sam

Call for new contribution proposals: Fishbone Moncrief Gallery Example
developed at the ICERM Brown workshop

CarpetX prerelease
     These are the things we said we wanted:
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/CarpetX_Transition
     Have we finalized how CarpetX works? E.g. boundary conditions
         Maybe more people need to be involved in discussing the BC's?
         Need to schedule a BC call to make sure we have all our
requirements?
         Will Hyperslab-based BC's work?
         Reach out to AMReX developers?
     Some classes might need to be renamed, maybe the repo, some thorns
should be rearranged

Gabriele Bozzala
     Does not test that the code is converging
     Want the ability to run convergence tests for Thorn Developers
     Bring up on the CarpetX call?

Emails about Ian Hinder's account being compromised. Not sure whether
this is a concern.

Zach has said that there is confusion over name of the toolkit. And it's
true.
     Can we make it clearer that ET is not Cactus. (Einstein Toolkit !=
Cactus)
     Don't want people to feel non-cactus codes are being washed out.
     The debate should continue.

Ticket 963 Peter ran the gallery example and constraint damping. It made
a big difference in the number of orbits. Reduced orbits from 5 to 2.
Not sure what's wrong. Restarting with constraints output. Will discuss
with Zach.

Chair: Sam
Minute Taker: Roland