[Users] First circular: 2022 Benasque conference “New frontiers in strong gravity”

Helvi Witek hwitek at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 7 12:41:17 CST 2022

**

*Dear colleagues,*

*

We would like to announce the two-week workshop “New frontiers in strong
gravity” taking place in Benasque, Spain from Jul 03–16, 2022; please
see the announcement below and the website
http://benasque.org/general/cgi-bin/years.pl?ano=2022
<http://benasque.org/general/cgi-bin/years.pl?ano=2022>for further
information.

Limited travel funds are available, with priority given to PhD students
and participants from underrepresented groups. To help us create a safe
environment, we ask that all participants are fully vaccinated against
Covid-19.

We would appreciate it if you could forward the announcement to
interested researchers in our field.

We look forward to welcoming you in Benasque

Helvi

on behalf of the organizers (D. Blas, P. Figueras, L. Stein, H. Witek,
S. Nissanke)

New frontiers in strong gravity

The highly nonlinear, strong-field regime of gravity holds the key to
address long-standing puzzles in modern physics. These range from deeply
theoretical questions concerning a consistent theory of quantum gravity
and resulting modifications to general relativity, over the stability
properties of black holes in traditional general relativity, to new
insight into nuclear matter under extreme conditions in the context of
neutron star and multimessenger astronomy.

In this two-week workshop (Jul 03–16, 2022) we will bring together
leading experts as well as junior scientists and PhD students in these
diverse research areas, to encourage communication and training across
the fields and to foster new research collaborations.

Invited speakers include:

Masha Baryaktar • Laura Bernard • Beatrice Bonga • Katerina
Chatziioannou • Katy Clough • Mihalis Dafermos • Will East • Roberto
Emparan • Tanja Hinderer • Aaron Kovacs • Macarena Lagos • Luis Lehner •
Lionel London • David Mateos • Maria Okounkova • Carlos Palenzuela •
Paolo Pani • Patricia Schmidt • Thomas Sotiriou • Rita Teixeira • Toby
Wiseman • Nicolas Yunes

The number of participants is limited. We ask students to upload a short
CV (maximal 2 pages). Limited travel support will be available, with
priority given to students and participants from underrepresented
groups. To apply for travel support please include some text justifying
your request for support on the registration page. Registration will
close on May 31, 2022. Registration will open shortly.

To help us create a safe and healthy environment, we ask that all
participants are fully vaccinated against Covid-19.

*

Dr. Helvi Witek
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics