[Users] Reduction operations with weights; 3 refinement centres

Konrad Topolski topolski at itp.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Jul 13 05:06:12 CDT 2022

Dear ETK community,

I'm writing with questions about two unrelated topics.

1. I would like to ask if there is a simple way of obtaining an L1 or L2 norm that comes from the integral with the sqrt(det(g)) measure, or a self-defined and stored weighing function?

I realize it could be done most simply by defining an auxiliary variable with storage, whose value is the relevant field times "sqrt(det(g))", but perhaps this is already incorporated in some Cactus routines?

Otherwise, I suppose the most efficient alternative is to assign storage for (and perfom reductions on) a new, detg-weighted variable, at only certain iterations, in the relevant thorn's schedule.ccl and only set values for it at these iterations?

2. I would like to learn, if there's a general guide for choosing the radii of 3 refinement centres, meaning a third, central, stationary one, in addition to the two moving ones. I want to prevent the edges of the 3rd refinement centre's levels from cutting into the objects, or the levels being unoptimally placed.

For example, if I would like to have max_ref_lvl = L for the two moving centres, and L-1 (or L-2) for the third one, should the finest level of the third refinement centre (call it level N) have the radius R=(initial_separation) + r where r is the radius chosen for the other two refinement centres at level N?

Best regards
Konrad