[Users] Number of processors and ppn used

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 29 18:35:26 CDT 2022

Hello Nisa,

> When I submit my simulation
> %%bash
> # start simulation segment
> ./simfactory/bin/sim submit NH --cores=1 --ppn-used=8 --walltime=0:2:00
> Also tried this %%bash
>
> ./simfactory/bin/sim submit NH --cores=2 --num-threads=1 --walltime=0:20:00
> again it gives the same warning
> it gives the warning that Total number of threads and number of cores per
> node are inconsistent: procs=1, ppn-used=8 (procs must be an integer
> multiple of ppn-used)
> and after that when i run the parameter file it does not run completely and
> shows only half or more than half output.
> How can I resolve this issue so that I get the complete output.

If there is output missing then most likely the job was killed by the
queuing system since it ran out of walltime. Note that the first
command requested only 2 minutes of walltime which is almost certainly
too short for any "real" run.

Usually this will show up at the bottom of the *.err file.

You can either let simfactory print both the *.out and the *.err file
to screen (or pipe into less) using:

./simfactory/bin/sim show-output NH  | less

or query where the simulation output directory is:

./simfactory/bin/sim get-output-dir NH

then use cd to go there and less to take a look at the err file.

The other option is that the job hung, which will usually also show up
as the queueing system killing your run due to it running out of
walltime, but also will typically mean that the last output (timestamp
of the output files eg *.asc visible via ls -l) is much older than the
time the job was killed by the queuing system.

If there is no queueing system (laptop) then something else could kill
the job (eg runs out of memory).

The warning about ppn-use is due to inconsistent options. Namely you
are claiming via ppn-used=8 to use 8 cores per node but then are
requesting only 1 core. It is just a warning though, if the job started
then you do not have to worry. If you would like to avoid the warning
you could use --cores 1 --ppn-used 1. Does his happen on a cluster
(private? One officially supported by the ET?)? Or you laptop that you
auto-configured via "sim setup-silent" or on the tutorial server?