[Users] Number of processors and ppn used

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 31 16:17:35 CDT 2022

Hello Nisa,

> When I run the commands on my laptop the simulation just killed by
> itself. I am attaching the err file. Please help me in this regard.

I took a look at your err file but cannot tell much unfortunately.
Usually a simulations is "killed" by the OS if it runs out of memory.

There may (or may not) be extra information available in the out file
(usually it would refer to "OOM killer" or so). It would be good if you
could provide it. There's a help page about what to provide to allow
people to respond meaningfully:

https://einsteintoolkit.org/support.html

Namely:

--8<--
If you have trouble with a simulation run foo, send the foo.out and
foo.err logs and the used parameter file if possible.

If a lot of text is copy-pasted into the email's body and makes it
difficult to read, add the relevant files as attachments to the mail.
They will be accessible from the archive page of the mailing list and
all the subscribing users will be able to access them on their own
email clients.
--8<--

How long does the simulation run (this can be seen in the out file)?

How much actual memory does your laptop have (and how much of it is free
when you start the simulation)?

When I run the parfile on my workstation Cactus consumes about 5.4GB of
RAM (the gallery website states 8.8GB) when starting (but could use
more as the simulation proceeds, in particular once the stars are about
to touch) but the exact number may well differ between OS and computers.

What OS are you running on your laptop? Linux (not WSL)?
Linux-subsystem-for-Windows (WSL, which version?)?

You can also try and directly run the simulation circumventing all of
simfactory to see as much of the output as possible.

Usually something like, starting in the main Cactus directory:

export OMP_NUM_THREADS=4
mpirun -n 1 exe/cactus_sim par/nsnstohmns.par 2>&1 | tee nsnstohmns.log

will do this. It expects the parameter file in par/nsnstohmns.par and
will redirect both the err and out output to nsnstohmns.log (as well
as too screen).

You can also try to run "top" in a second terminal to see how memory is
used up while the simulation starts.

This will use 4 threads (OMP_NUM_THREADS=4) and 1 MPI rank (-n 1) same
as using "--cores 4 --num-threads 4" with simfactory.

The other output files will be a in directory nsnstohmns (or so) in
the main Cactus directory.