[Users] Agenda for Thursday's Meeting

Gabriele Bozzola bozzola.gabriele at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:22:53 CDT 2022

Hello,

I am not sure if I can join the call tomorrow, but I'd like to say
something about kuibit
and the new release.

TLDR: I released a bugfix update to kuibit, I would like to release a
second update
to cleanup dependencies but this is currently blocked by another python
package.
This second update would only affect kuibit developers, so it is not a big
deal if I cannot
release the new version in time.

Longer info:

I recently released kuibit 1.3.4 (the previous ET release was using 1.3.3).
This is a bug
fix release with nothing tremendously interesting going on. Ideally, I
would like to
release a second tiny update for the new ET release. This update would only
improve
compatibility with Python 3.10. At the moment, you can install and use
kuibit with
Python 3.10, but if you want to develop it, there are some extra
difficulties. The core
of the problem is that VTK has not distributed wheels for Python 3.10 yet,
but this is
scheduled to happen soon, hopefully
(https://discourse.vtk.org/t/vtk-9-2-0-release-cycle/8149). If that
happens, the new release
of ET should include kuibit 1.3.5, otherwise 1.3.4 will work fine.

The next major version of kuibit (1.4) will drop support to Python 3.6 and
Python 3.7
(it is becoming impossible to manage dependencies for older versions of
Python).

Best,
Gabriele