[Users] Implementing a simple 1+1 BSSN in Python

Erik Schnetter schnetter at gmail.com
Fri May 13 22:09:17 CDT 2022

Chris

What do you mean by "Boundary conditions are not applied"? What do you do
at the boundaries? Are you using one-sided differencing there?

Given your description, I assume that all derivatives would be identically
zero, that there would not even be a floating-point round-off error. Is
that so? If not, why not?

Are you really setting the lapse to zero initially? It should be one for
Minkowski, same as e.g. g_xx.

What happens if you choose a very small grid size (e.g. just 10 points) and
compare the initial conditions between the Einstein Toolkit and the Python
code? Are they identical? You would need to compare ASCII output and
compare all the digits.

What happens if you take a single Euler time step? Are the values still all
identical? Try to find out and which iteration the first grid point differs
between the two codes.

-erik