[Users] Issue with compiling ET on cluster

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Nov 14 08:52:31 CST 2022

Hello Shamim Haque,

> *Part A:*
> Keeping compiler Intel 2013, I tried to add lines -gcc_name and -gxx_name
> to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS pointing to gcc/7.3.0. The error while compiling is
> the following:
>

> *checking for C++ lambda expressions... yeschecking for C++ range-based for
> statements... noCactus requires a C++11 compiler -- check your C++ compiler
> and C++ compiler flagsError reconfiguring sim-configmake: *** [sim-config]
> Error 2*

This still sounds like a compiler incompatibility. Somehow Cactus does
not detect support for range based for statements, which however Intel
2013 claims to support in (search for "range-based", it is  item N2930)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/c0x-features-supported-by-intel-c-compiler.html

What does the file config.log (that autoconf points you to for detailed
error messages) contain? It usually is something like
configs/sim/config-data/config.log . The options used for CXXFLAGS (if
those are the ones used) look fine to me.

> *PART B:*

> *Error: Product support for your (Comp-CL) license has expired.License
> file(s) used were (in this order):    1.  Trusted Storage**  2.

Yes, this is a license issue. Note that you may still require -gxx-name
options even for newer Intel compilers (they may default to the system
g++ and system STL otherwise).

> *Part C:*
> I compiled another ET successfully using the modules gcc-7.3.0,
> openmpi-3.1.4, FFTW3/3.3.3, gsl/1.16, openssl/1.1.1a, zlib/1.2.8,
> cmake/3.15.4, libjpeg/1.2.1, HDF5/1.8.10,  openmpi/3.1.4.
>
> But there seems to be a repetitive warning while buliding ET, which I am
> not sure if I should be worried about:
> */usr/bin/ld: warning: libgfortran.so.3, needed by
> /usr/lib64/atlas/liblapack.so, may conflict with libgfortran.so.4*

Basically: /usr/lib64/atlas/liblapack.so (the system ATLAS library) has
been compiled with at version of gfortran much older than the one you
are using. This can be fail in particular when involving strings being
passed to Fortran code.

> Please let me know if I should consider changing something to get rid of
> this warning, I have attached ini file (kanad_et8.ini), cfg file
> (kanad_et8.cfg) and full terminal output (out_et8.txt) for reference.

You may need to set:

LAPACK_DIR = BUILD
BLAS_DIR = BUILD

to force the EinsteinToolkit to build its own (slow, but we do not rely
on BLAS / LAPACK for speed) versions of LAPACK and BLAS (or you can try
using OpenBLAS which is faster, but as said, speed of those two is not
really relevant for typical ET simulations).

> Now, having got this compiled successfully, should I continue to pursue
> compiling ET with intel compilers? Though I am still not sure if this ET
> (with gcc-7.3) will show up any errors in future as I aim to work on binary
> neutron star merger simulations. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Historically we did see slightly faster code with the Intel compiler. I
suspect that similar speeds can be reached using GNU compilers by now
though if one sets -ffast-math and similar options (that Intel
defaults to) in CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS (Fortran has some of those
optimizations allowed by the language already so it does not do quite
so much for Fortran code).

See eg: https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FloatingPointMath for an explanation
of the compromises this involves.