[Users] Eccentricity in BNS evolution with Lorene

Zach Etienne zachetie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:01:39 CDT 2022

Hi Johnny,

I noticed you set
ADMBase::initial_shift           = "zero"
so you eliminated one possible contributor to coordinate eccentricity
(Lorene's initial shift condition results in significant eccentricity).
Good choice.

I don't use GRHydro/ML_BSSN, so I cannot comment on your choices there.
Generic advice:
* Resolution may be too low -- try higher resolution & see if your
eccentricity reduces.
* Initial data is too close (Lorene assumes a helical Killing vector, which
is violated more and more as the initial separation of the stars decreases)
* Check that you are properly tracking the NSs such that they are centered
within high-resolution AMR boxes, and that the radius of the AMR boxes is
at least 1.5x the radius of each NS. A movie visualizing the density of the
stars in the orbital plane would be very very useful.

Hope this helps!

-Zach

Zachariah Etienne
Assoc. Prof. of Physics, U. of Idaho
Adjunct Assoc. Prof. of Physics & Astronomy, West Virginia U.
https://etienneresearch.com
https://blackholesathome.net