[Users] Regarding configuration of workstation

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Thu Oct 6 09:35:59 CDT 2022

Dear Indrani,

Sorry for the long delay. We had discussed you question already in last
week's Einstein Toolkit call.

Unfortunately there is no direct answer that one can provide.

The size of the workstation is very much dependent on the intended use,
large differences existing for example between purely vacuum and
simulations including matter. The latter usually being at least twice
as expensive compute time and memory wise.

Generically a single workstation is not really enough for production
type work, since you usually need to either run many smaller
simulations (so a single workstation is not enough) or one large
simulation (in which case it won't fit on the workstation).

Usually a workstation would be used for development and testing. For
development you would require only a "typical" workstation and 16GB of
RAM would be enough. For testing, one with large memory (>64GB) can be
useful to test code (fits memory-wise0 but will be slow due to only a
single CPU socket. I use my own workstation (96GB, 12 slow cores), for
this.

You can take a look at the gallery examples:

BBH:
http://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/bbh/index.html
98GB, somewhat reasonable resolution but "real" ones could well be
about 2 times more expensive memory wise

BNS:
http://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/bns/index.html
8.8GB for the BNS example but it is *way* too low resolution. Normally
the resolution across the star should be about 150m (about 0.1Msun) but
currently is 416m (0.28) so 2.8 times too coarse. This will make the
"real" run use ~20 times more memory (so ~128GB or so).

For actual data production accessing a small cluster is usually best.
Either on campus or via a national or international institution. I do
not know what the situation in your location is like. In the US / EU
one would usually try ACCESS / PRACE startup allocations first.