[Users] Eccentricity in BNS evolution with Lorene

Bing-Jyun Tsao johnny.tsao.880724 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 18:28:52 CDT 2022

Hi Zach and Samuel,

Thank you both for the great tips. To comment on some of the suggestions:

1. Resolution: I tested with a higher amount of resolution when I first
encountered the problem, but for that particular case I still found the
eccentricity. However, I do agree that resolution could not be ruled out as
it might still not be high enough.

2. NS tracking grids: I used VisIt to visualize the grids following the two
stars and they seem to cover most of the stars until they are tidally
disrupted. The boxes are only slightly (1.2x) bigger than the star so I
will increase the radius to what Zach recommended.

3. Initial data being too close: I was also wondering if 45 km was too
close as it is about 3 * R_star. It is reassuring to hear from Samuel's
test with FUKA that ADM angular momentum is consistent with PN results for
a nearly same case.

In summary, I will try a few simulations with much higher resolution,
bigger tracking grids to see if the problem persists. I will also make sure
that I am measuring the ADM angular momentum correctly when comparing the
PN and Lorene ID.

Again, thanks for the help. I will keep this thread updated
whether it works out or not.

Best,
Johnny Tsao