[Users] Computing Apparent Horizons

Mario Imbrogno mario.imbrogno97 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 04:08:44 CDT 2022

Dear Einstein-Toolkit community,

my name is Mario Imbrogno and I am a Ph.D. student at
the University of Calabria (UniCal, Cosenza, Italy) under the supervision
of prof. Sergio Servidio.

Our research group had developed a spectral code to solve the Einstein
equations via a
pseudo-spectral technique [Meringolo C, Servidio S, and Veltri P "A
spectral method algorithm for numerical
simulations of gravitational fields." Classical and Quantum Gravity 38.7
(2021): 075027], and I am studying different cases of merging two and more
black holes, in vacuum conditions.

Now I have to compute the apparent horizons (AHs) just for our initial
conditions, and I have
read that the Einstein Toolkit implements the AHFinderDirect, a code that
can detect the AHs.

My questions are: is there a way to compute such AHs by, just uploading our
3D cartesian BSSN fields and
using the AHFinderDirect code?

Who is(are) the user(s) that mainly use(s) such code? Who can I ask?

Where can I find a detailed guide in which I can learn how to upload my
data using the AHFinderDirect code?

If someone will help us, there is no problem for us to include as a
co-author of our paper.

Best regards,

Mario Imbrogno