[Users] Computing Apparent Horizons

Mario Imbrogno mario.imbrogno97 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 05:31:02 CDT 2022

Dear Prof. Zach Etienne,

Thank you for your prompt reply. We are interested in the Einstein Toolkit
tools, particularly in the AHFinderDirect tool, and we installed it already
on our devices following the tutorial on the website "
https://einsteintoolkit.org/". It is a very powerful tool.

Finding Apparent Horizons (AHs) becomes necessary since we have an article
under review, and one of the Referees asked us to compute the AHs on
initial data because he was not convinced that the simulated black holes
were actually three separate objects, at least initially. To do this, we
had considered embedding new modules into our full-GR code, but, since
these should be tested before being used (as you know the procedure for the
finding of such surfaces is not trivial at all), we thought it was
appropriate to rely on some other well-tested codes, perhaps the Einstein
Toolkit, which we will cite in our paper.

So, we thank you for the tips you have given us and we would like to ask
you if this is all or if there are some other details we need to be aware
of. For example, our BSSN fields (among which there are the initial
3-metric and the extrinsic curvature) are stored in an "UNFORMATTED" data
file, so could any problems arise about this? At the most, we have to
convert our data to another format, do we not?

Best regards,

Mario Imbrogno