[Users] Problem with Llamawavetoy

Enzo Iubini egic.enzo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 10:49:23 CDT 2023

Good morning.
My name is Enzo Iubini and I'm a master's student from Chile currently
working on binary black holes.
I want to use the Einstein Toolkit to create simulations, and I currently
know how to create thorns (thanks to the tutorial) and run parfiles.
At the moment I'm trying to run the Llamawavetoy parfile for the multipatch
wave equation, which is found in this link:
https://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/multipatch/index.html.
The problem is, this simulation returns several HDF5 files, for which I
have some questions.

1. For example, the u.0.xz.h5 returns several files, one of which is
'LLAMAWAVETOY::u
it=0 tl=0 m=0 rl=0' . My question is: What do 'it', 'tl' and 'rl'
represent? I have several other files with different 'it' 's , I thought it
meant "iteration" but each one of them has size (183,29) and I'm really
confused as to how to interpret them.

2. Once I have my data, how do I plot them? I tried to understand all the
data inside these folders, but I can't make sense of them. Tried to plot
each one of these files based on what I thought they meant, but all I get
is different 1-d wave plots and I can't make a 2d or 3d plot of them.

3. Also tried to use VisIt. Should I save these files and later upload them
on VisIt? I'm trying to understand the data first so I can plot it later,
but I'm having trouble understanding all of it overall.

I'm sorry if this is a lot of questions, I hope you can help me understand
so I can manage to work further.
Thanks a lot for your time!

Best regards,
Enzo.