[Users] Problem installing Einstein Toolkit on Mac

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 7 10:27:07 CDT 2023

Hello Bob,

> I believe that I had previously done everything required and followed all
> of the install instructions properly.  But I have now gone through them all
> again and still have the same problem.
> I have attached the config file you mentioned but it doesn't seem to give
> any more details that are spooled in the Jupyter notebook when I run it.

Let me see. In you case it looks for just gfortran. This is admittedly
a bit odd. On MacOS using homebrew or macports it should look for
gfortran-13 or gfortran-mp-13 respectively.

I have seen issues with Macs that change their machine name since they
get derive it from their WiFi IP address. So here's my suggestion:

* run hostname -f to find out your laptops (current) machine name

* compare to the output of `simfactory/bin/sim whoami` which should be
  similar

* look for the newest file simfactory/mdb/machines/*.ini . It should
  have quite a long name that looks similar to the output of hostname
  above

* if the file name differs (other than in having the .ini extension)
  then you laptop got a new name since you set up Cactus and you will
  need to re-run `simfactory/bin/sim setup-silent` once more. It should
  (just above the SUMMARY output) say something along the lines of:

Creating machine gdd6l52n-ofc.ncsa.illinois.edu from generic: machine gdd6l52n-ofc.ncsa.illinois.edu [/Users/rhaas/ET_Next/repos/simfactory2/mdb/machines/gdd6l52n-ofc.ncsa.illinois.edu.ini] created successfully

* take a look at the ini file mentioned, and look for the "optionlist"
  entry. There should be a file of that name in
  simfactory/mdb/optionlists and that should contain the correct
  gfortran in its F90 entry

If you laptop does indeed change names, you can force simfactory to use
a specific name by creating a file $HOME/.hostname and writing the
desired machine name to it (eg gdd6l52n-ofc.ncsa.illinois.edu in my
example above). You can also try and pass `--machine
gdd6l52n-ofc.ncsa.illinois.edu` (for example) to each simfactory
command which has the same effect (or at least should).

If any of these things turn out to be not true, could you include the
full output from `setup-silent` (text, not a screenshot please) as well
as the ini file and cfg files (machine definition and option list),
please?

Also which package manager you are using (homebrew or macports) as well
as the output from `which gfortran-13` or `which gfortran-mp-13` as
appropriate both from within a Terminal and from withint the jupyter
notebook (in a %%bash cell or using !).

Finally of course, sometimes the easiest way to clear out mysterious
errors is to wipe Cactus (`rm -rf ~/Cactus`) and start from scratch (so
that no lingering options are left behind).