[Users] (no subject)

Peter Diener diener at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Aug 10 12:46:15 CDT 2023

Hi Thejas,

In the Einstein Toolkit, we use, as is common in numerical relativity,
units where the speed of light, c, and the gravitational constant, G, are
chosen to be c=G=1. In addition, we measure mass in units of the solar
mass, M_sun. 1 solar mass can be converted into a length by multiplying by
G and dividing by c^2. This is then the unit of length. We can convert
that into a time by dividing by c. So the unit of length and time in SI
units are then

[L] = 1 M_sun*G/c^2 = 1477 m.
[T] = 1 M_sun*G/c^3 = 4.93 10^-6 s.

As can be seen, the unit of length is 1 half the Scharzschild radius of a
black hole with a mass of 1 solar mass. The unit if time is then the time
it takes light to travel that distance.

Cheers,

   Peter