[Users] Meeting Minutes, August 24, 2023

Cupp, Samuel D. scupp1 at my.apsu.edu
Thu Aug 24 09:43:44 CDT 2023

Chair - Leo
Minutes - Sam
Attendees - Roland Peter Yosef

ET_2023_11 release
SpaceTimeX likely will not be included
Yosef - this means there's no spacetime evolution thorn, greatly reducing what can be done with CarpetX

While true, these thorns are also on Erik's plate, for the most part, and he is busy with CarpetX release. They also haven't been used for a publication or an equivalent quality control. Even if CarpetX is included without a spacetime evolution thorn, having CarpetX in the toolkit will simplify future releases with CarpetX-based codes. Also, if people want to use the Z4c thorn in SpacetimeX, they can still check it out at their own peril.

AsterX also doesn't have a publication, so the reviewer will need to check whether AsterX is actually ready for inclusion. Is the paper just limited by writing, or is something still not working correctly?

Roland - I think there was an issue with TOV star evolution, but I don't know if that was resolved. Bruno hasn't responded in regard to being a reviewer for the AsterX arrangement.

Sam - Samuel Tootle volunteered to review it, though I don't know if one person is enough for the whole arrangement. I'll make sure the reviewer(s) clarify whether AsterX is completely working and the paper is just a matter of writing, or if there's still something being debugged.

Unanswered emails:
"Loss of precision after postintial?"
Con2Prim runs after initial data is set, even with checkpoint/restart. This means that the data can potentially change depending on which evolution thorn is being used. Since finite differences were mentioned, one could also try increasing resolution and see how this affects the precision.

Tickets:
Ticket 2749<https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2749/wvuthorns-sprintf-use-violates-standard> - Leo will address this issue.

Next week's meeting:
Chair - Peter