[Users] question on GRHydro atmosphere mask

Bruno Giacomazzo bruno.giacomazzo at unimib.it
Thu Dec 14 10:00:06 CST 2023

Luciano,
   I think GRHydro inherited the atmosphere_mask from Whisky. In Whisky the
atmosphere_mask was introduced to allow to set the RHS to zero for points
within the atmosphere and to avoid to run Con2Prim in those points.
I do not think there is any advantage in using it and there should be no
problem in setting the points to atmosphere locally without a mask (in
Spritz, which comes from WhiskyMHD, we removed indeed the usage of masks).

Cheers,
Bruno

Il giorno dom 10 dic 2023 alle ore 23:28 Luciano Combi <
combi.luciano at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Hello people.
>
> I've been using  (a version of) GRHydro for a while and I was wondering if
> you know what motivated the use of an atmosphere mask. I understand that
> this is useful to set atmosphere states between mesh refinement levels, but
> I'd like to know if you've seen problems before just resetting locally to
> atmosphere.
>
> Thanks!!
>

> Luc.
>

> ---
> *Dr. Luciano Combi*
> Postdoctoral Researcher
> Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
> CITA National Fellow (U. of Guelph)
> ---

Prof. Bruno Giacomazzo
Department of Physics
University of Milano-Bicocca
Piazza della Scienza 3
20126 Milano
Italy

email: bruno.giacomazzo at unimib.it
phone: (+39) 02 6448 2321
web: http://www.brunogiacomazzo.org

Those who understand binary, and those who don't