[Users] Llama - Interpatch boundaries found

Erik Schnetter schnetter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 12:15:45 CST 2023

Samuel

Carpet is adding buffer and ghost zones to each refinement level. This
might enlarge certain levels by quite a bit, especially when the
resolution is low. Coarser levels then need to be enlarged as well,
and will in turn have their buffer and ghost zones added. This can
quickly make refined regions much larger than you expect.

To experiment, you can switch off buffer and ghost zones when setting
up the grid structure, and output the grid structure to examine it
e.g. in VisIt. You can also increase the resolution to see whether
this helps. For these tests you do not need to activate any physics
thorns (ML_BSSN, ADMBase, etc.), and doing so can reduce your memory
consumption during these tests.

-erik

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at gmail.com>