[Users] How to choose the correct parameters “ppn, max-num-threads, num-threads, nodes, --cores, --num-threads and –procs" on my computer?

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 13 09:37:20 CDT 2023

Hello Kuark,

Typically we see no benefit using hyperthreads due the nature of the
workload of our scientific codes.

So I will only describe things without hyperthreads (which mostly just
add a complications).

With that in mind simfactory's './simfactory/bin/sim setup-silent'
should do a good job at setting up a default machine description.

When you submit you should set ppn-used to the number of compute cores
you will use, one per OS thread. So with 16 threads you would use
ppn-used to 16 as well.

If you are looking to get most speed on a typical workstation (single
node) then most likely you fastest way is actually to use 1 thread per
MPI rank and as many MPI ranks as you have physical cores.

So something like:

--cores 6 --num-threads 1 --ppn-used 6

in your case.