[Users] Gravitational waves using toolkit

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Jul 31 16:41:50 CDT 2023

Hello Thejas A Nair,

> I am  a master's student doing a project on gravitational wave, is there
> work done in gravitational wave using this toolkit. I would like to work on
> some codes for my project.

Depends on what you mean by "work on gravitational waves", which is a
large area of research.

The toolkit is used for numerical astrophysics and gravitational waves
produced by colliding compact objects have been a long standing target
for these types of simulations.

Eg the GW150914 gallery example:

http://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/bbh/index.html

contains an extensive set of Mathematica notebooks that show how one
can process the gravitational waves produced.

If you are thinking of eg post-Newtonian work, then no the ET is the
wrong toolkit for this.

If you are thinking of extreme mass ratio inspirals then the black hole
perturbation toolkit

https://bhptoolkit.org/

may be useful for you.

To get an idea what the ET is currently being used for you can query eg
the arXiv for it:

https://search.arxiv.org/?in=&query=%22Einstein%20Toolkit%22

which gives some idea of what it can be and is used for.