[Users] Trouble Building Cactus Thorns on Mac and on Expanse

Joe Hellmers jlhellmers at sdsu.edu
Wed Nov 1 11:36:46 CDT 2023

Hello,

I’d like to use Hyrdro_RNSID in order to generate a initial data for a rotating neutron star, but I’m having some difficulties building the Cactus thorns.  Initially I’m just trying to build all of them.

When I try to build on my Mac using the latest GNU compilers from Brew, I get a message that my compiler doesn’t support std c11.  The version of gcc installed is Apple clang version 15.0.0 (clang-1500.0.40.1), whatever that gcc version that ends up being.

If I use the gcc from the MESA SDK, (version 12.2.0) I get the same message.

So, I switched to try it on the SDSC Expanse cluster, and at least I don’t get that problem, but I do end of having an issue that it is looking for some Slurm include files from a version that isn’t on expanse any more.  Specifically it is looking under /cm/shared/apps/slurm/20.02.3/ but Expanse now has /cm/shared/apps/slurm/21.08.8.

So I have a few questions

1) How can I just build what I need for Hydro_RNSID?
2) What can I do about building on my Mac?
3) Where can I change the configuration of my build so that it refers to the correct Slurm version when building on Expanse?

Thanks!

Joe Hellmers
San Diego State University- Physics Dept.