[Users] Residual eccentricity in BNS

Samuel Tootle tootle at itp.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Feb 28 11:31:43 CST 2024

Hi Lorenzo,

For closer separations the eccentricity can grow as the approximations of time symmetry and quasi-equilibrium become increasingly less accurate. The differences due to component masses would be negligible in comparison.

Indeed eccentricity reduction is possible and we have implemented this in the FUKA codes, however, I am not aware of this capability currently existing in Lorene. Be default FUKA solutions utilize 3.5PN estimates to reduce residual eccentricity prior to an initial evolution. In most cases this is sufficient, but further reduction is also possible by fixing certain parameters (omega and adot, see https://arxiv.org/abs/2103.09911 for details). Though, for equal mass such methods are usually not necessary.

Hopefully someone with more experience with Lorene can chime in, but I hope the above answers some of your inquiries.

Warm regards,
Samuel Tootle
Postdoctoral Researcher
Physics Department