[Users] meeting minutes for 2024-01-11

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Thu Jan 11 09:38:36 CST 2024

Present: Roland, Peter, Steve, Leo, Andya, Sam, Samuel, Xinyue, Zach

ET release:
* ET release manager search for 2024_05: Steve (main), Roland (asst)
* Peter will update TOV gallery example
* Steve found that BNS example differs in new release, Roland will try
  and run on his workstation to verify

Simfactory issues:
* Steve has trouble getting simfactory to work on db1 for submission,
  it ignores sourcebasedir

Open tickets:

* https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2770 Roland will
  report issue to ADIOS2

* https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2771 Roland has
  been in contact with Wolfgang and Michal, they have implemented a
  similar fix in SGRID's master branch and Roland will backport

* https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2520 Peter will
  re-run TOV example with updated parameters to see if there are
  visible changes

Chapter on ET in Springer book:

* Peter and Stefan Rosswog are adding SphincsBSSN code
* Leo, Sam, Steve volunteer for ET section, will try and coordinate
  with Peter
* will create skeleton for chapter, add division of space for codes
* TODO: check if we need to describe BSSN codes
* TODO: Roland to periodically poke
* TODO: Roland to see if GRhydro authors can contribute

Code changes policy

* Samuel asked about how larger changes to contributed code are handled
* Roland said that this is effectively up to the authors. The ET is
  conservative with changes to release branches that should be limited
  to obvious important bug fixes
* For code changes the ET asks that all changes are reviewed but that
  does to have to be in the ET ticket system and could be code internal
* Sam points out that changes that require changing parameter files
  need to have a deprecation warning for one release before they can be
  made