[Users] Fwd: [nr-community-call] Applications due Mar 20 for SpECTRE community workshop

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 13 14:54:15 CDT 2024

(originally sent by Nils Vu <nils.vu at black-holes.org> to
nr-community-call at black-holes.org)

Dear Numerical Relativists,

This is a quick reminder that applications for our SpECTRE community
workshop, Aug 5–9, 2024, at ICERM, Brown University, US, are due on Mar
20 (next Wednesday). You can find the full announcement of the workshop
below. Please consider joining us for the workshop, and feel free to
reach out if you have any questions.

Best,
Nils

—

Applications are now open for an upcoming workshop "Simulating Extreme
Spacetimes with SpEC and SpECTRE", Aug 5-9, 2024, at ICERM, Brown
University, US.

The Simulating eXtreme Spacetimes (SXS) collaboration has managed the
development of two distinct numerical relativity codes to enable
high-fidelity simulations of compact object mergers: (i) the Spectral
Einstein Code (SpEC) based on pseudospectral methods, and (ii) the
open-source code SpECTRE, an hp-adaptive discontinuous Galerkin scheme
for relativistic astrophysics.

Our weeklong program includes two related activities: (i) a SpEC and
SpECTRE developers meeting and (ii) a SpECTRE community workshop.

The code developers' meeting will bring together researchers who are
actively developing SpEC, SpECTRE, and accompanying software for
interacting with publicly available simulation datasets such as
gravitational waveforms.

The SpECTRE workshop aims to provide graduate students, postdocs, and
faculty with the tools to install, run, and contribute to the
open-source code SpECTRE. Our SpECTRE workshop will include both
lectures and hands-on sessions. Lecture topics will include the
generalized harmonic formulation of the Einstein field equation,
general relativistic hydrodynamics, the discontinuous Galerkin method
with finite volume sub-cells, and the Cauchy characteristic extraction
method. Hands-on sessions will cover installing, running, and
visualizing numerical simulations, and how to get involved with code
development. There will also be ample opportunity for students and
postdocs to interact with senior participants and lecturers of the
ICERM workshop program.

Both events will be in-person, with streaming options available for
lectures. ICERM will be able to offer limited funding for some
participants.

The application deadline is March 20, 2024. Please apply here:
https://icerm.brown.edu/topical_workshops/tw-24-ses/

Best,
Katerina Chatziioannou
Nils Deppe