#2410: compiling Baikal with gcc >= 9.3 is very slow
| Reporter: | Roland Haas |
| Status: | new |
| Milestone: | |
| Version: | |
| Type: | bug |
| Priority: | major |
| Component: | EinsteinToolkit thorn |
Comment (by Zach Etienne):
@Erik Schnetter : Thanks for the tip! I have just refactored NRPy+'s finite-difference generating code so that it generates CCTK_ATTRIBUTE_NOINLINE finite difference functions as well.
The net result is far faster compiles (>10x faster for gcc 10.1 on a Linux machine), and far faster codegens (~2.4x faster to generate Baikal* thorns using NRPy+). Further, in early tests, I have found no degradation in runtime performance (same performance within error bars).
I confirmed that the updated Baikal* thorns still pass the testsuite, so I have replaced the Baikal* thorns in WVUThorns master with the updated ones. @Roland Haas will be retrying on the same machine used to produce the original benchmarks for this ticket.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2410/compiling-baikal-with-gcc-93-is-very-slow