#2247: updates to tutorial notebook
Reporter:Roland Haas
Status:new
Milestone:
Version:
Type:enhancement
Priority:minor
Component:

Comment (by Roland Haas):

In the original tutorial create-run was used for the tov simulation which seems like a bad thing to showcase since create-run cannot be used on clusters. Given choice I would rather shows only a small number of things in this tutorial rather than showcase the full breadth of simfactory. Naturally exactly what one considers the bare minimum to show is up for discussion (and I did add a bit of complex code to get the output directory).

create-run is useful on ones’s laptop / workstation and I agree with you that showing it there is useful as it given a somewhat easier way of testing things (though I personally very very rarely use it).

So I would not want to use create-run for the tov simulation for this reason and also b/c it does not leave behind a log file to inspect later. If we want to showcase it (which I am not really averse) I would much prefer if this was done in the "Hello, Cactus!" example rather than the tov example. It would even be ok if the hello world example used no mpirun at all just to show that cactus_sim is just a regular code (though this does, again, not work on most clusters).

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2247/updates-to-tutorial-notebook