#2194: Memory increase during regridding
| Reporter: | Wolfgang Kastaun |
| Status: | wontfix |
| Milestone: | ET_2020_04 |
| Version: | development version |
| Type: | bug |
| Priority: | minor |
| Component: | Other |
Comment (by Ian Hinder):
Sorry I didn’t see this before it was closed. I would suggest that you first confirm that the problem is due to fragmentation. glibc malloc is fairly useless for this. I propose
When I looked into this again in 2018 (I had previously tried to debug the problem for my own runs years before), the tentative conclusion did seem to point to fragmentation (see http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/pipermail/users/2018-August/006434.html). But this was never fully confirmed. There were also hints that allocated memory was increasing, even though memory allocated for gridfunctions was not. So before concluding that fragmentation is the reason, it would be good to see a clear demonstration of this. If fragmentation is the reason, use of tcmalloc might reduce fragmentation, and there are parameters and strategies you can use to help.
My own solution to the problem was to run shorter jobs between checkpoints, so that the memory didn’t grow too high before the job checkpoint-terminated.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2194/memory-increase-during-regridding