#2516: Different simulation result with different number of cores setting
| Reporter: | |
| Status: | new |
| Milestone: | |
| Version: | ET_2019_10 |
| Type: | bug |
| Priority: | major |
| Component: |
I had been using the Mayer version (2019_10) of the EinsteinToolkit to do some BNS simulations, but not until very recently did I realise that there is some discrepancy in the outputs between simulations run with different number of cores. The discrepancy starts to grow after quite a while and at some point the relative error could be sever tens of percents.
I have got mainly two set of output after running the same simulation with different number of cores: i) 8 / 12 / 32 / 36 ii) 16 / 17 / 24 / 48 within each set, the outputs agree well up to 10^(-10) digit for a long enough simulation time. I simply do not know which data should I trust...
And when I tried to use more cores to test (e.g. 64), the code crashed almost immediately with the following errors: (a bunch of) [ml=0 rl=0 c=6] The following grid structure consistency check failed: The communicated region must be contained in the active part of the domain comm <= domain_active and Cactus/configs/ET2/build/CarpetLib/dh.cc:2123: -> The grid structure is inconsistent. It is impossible to continue.
The relevant code for the grid settings are:
CoordBase::xmin = 0.00 CoordBase::ymin = -492.80 CoordBase::zmin = 0.00 CoordBase::xmax = +492.80 CoordBase::ymax = +492.80 CoordBase::zmax = +492.80 CoordBase::dx = 22.4 CoordBase::dy = 22.4 CoordBase::dz = 22.4 ... Carpet::max_refinement_levels = 8 Carpet::prolongation_order_space = 5 Carpet::prolongation_order_time = 2 Carpet::refinement_centering = "vertex" ... CarpetRegrid2::num_levels_2 = 6 CarpetRegrid2::position_x_2 = -34.0 CarpetRegrid2::radius_2[1] =240.0 CarpetRegrid2::radius_2[2] =120.0 CarpetRegrid2::radius_2[3] = 52.0 CarpetRegrid2::radius_2[4] = 40.0 CarpetRegrid2::radius_2[5] = 30.0
Do anyone encounter this kind of problem before? I thought the rule of thumb is to use 2^N number of cores but it turns out that the output for using 16 or 32 cor
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2516/different-simulation-result-with-different