#2692: Inclusion of FUKA importer thorns
Reporter:tootle
Status:new
Milestone:ET_2023_05
Version:ET_2023_05
Type:proposal
Priority:major
Component:EinsteinToolkit thorn

Comment (by tootle):

@Roland Haas I had a look today and the dependencies that ptree relies within boost are too extensive to try and extract manually unfortunately. Therefore, the only option in the short term would be to include it as DISABLED if the ETK maintainers agree or to exclude these thorns altogether.

If the dependency persists the is should be listed in configuration.ccl along with GSL etc.

This would still require there to be an intermediate thorn that PROVIDES BOOST.

You may also need to consider an OPTIONAL dependency on CMake in particular if you require a non-ancient cmake. Some of CarpetX dependencies do that (AMReX, ADIOS I think) and can optionally use a cmake in ${CMAKE_DIR}/bin/cmake instead of just cmake. I think the two of them between them now require cmake 3.23 (from around July 2022, so very very recent for HPC clusters).

This is an interesting point. In reality the current version of KADATH is based on cmake 2.8 which I’ve recently had to start manually removing old safeties that interfere with methods implemented in cmake >3.2. Specifically, base KADATH included its on modules for find_package for its dependencies which would override the modern default scripts. This meant that all the search routines for looking for packages in $ENV{<PACKAGE NAME>_ROOT} were not searched since this was not implemented until cmake 3 I believe. I know there are those that unfortunately have to deal ith systems running old libraries, but this is not something I deal with at the moment so it is difficult to test and develop against.

--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2692/inclusion-of-fuka-importer-thorns