Instead of listing maintainers in these option lists, I would like to add comments that read

# last-tested-on: date (see https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3339)
# last-tested-by: Name <address@email> (see https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822)

near the top of option lists. We should then clarify what it means to "test" an option list -- in my opinion, this should include configuring and building from scratch, both a debug and an optimised configuration, running all test cases, and running a multi-node test job with checkpointing/recovery. This should include not just the standard Einstein Toolkit test cases, but presumably a larger set.

"Maintaining" an option list then means having one's name listed as "inspector" and taking the blame when something goes wrong. An approximately monthly inspection cycle seems a good compromise, given the volatility of our source code and various HPC systems.

Feel free to add such a comment to an option list that you tested, as a sign that you are willing to vouch for its quality with your good name.

-erik



On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Roland Haas <roland.haas@physics.gatech.edu> wrote:
Hello Barry,

> Yes. I use the OSX one regularly and can continue to maintain it with
> Ian. There are also several other older OSX option lists which I no
> longer use. Do we still want to keep all of those around?
Thank you.

Probably (speaking only for myself) we want to rather remove old files
than have them trip up new users (ie. if a file break and no one wants
to fix it, it should be removed).

> I can also continue to maintain the Scientific Linux 6 option list,
> although I don't actually currently use it myself.
That would be nice of course.

Also: I did not put in the minutes when the next phone call will be: The
next phone call will be on Mon Jan 7th 2013 at the usual time.

Yours,
Roland


_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
Users@einsteintoolkit.org
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users




--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter@cct.lsu.edu>
http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/