Roland
This is currently no implemented. There are currently two choices for
calculating "upwind" derivatives (i.e. the shift-related spatial part
of the Lie derivatives):
If[splitUpwindDerivsKranc,
Upwind[dir_, var_, idx_] := dir PDua[var,idx] + Abs[dir] PDus[var,idx],
Upwind[dir_, var_, idx_] := dir PDu[var,idx]];
By setting
Upwind[var_,dir_,idx_] = PD[var,idx];
you can change these "upwind" derivatives to be identical to regular
derivatives. This happens at the level of Mathematica, before the
equations are passed to Kranc, so that you will need one less ghost
zone.
I would be happy to add a respective parameter to the Kranc script.
For performance reasons this can't be a run-time parameter, though.
Note that this is always possible with the BSSN equations -- this is
not a question of stability. We are using upwind derivatives since
Peter Diener (?) found out that these lead to more accurate binary
black hole evolutions, compared to centred differences.
If you do use centred differences, then make sure you also use some artificial dissipation. The dissipativity of the upwind difference operators seems to be enough to stabilise the scheme, but with centred operators, I found that the scheme appeared unstable until I added some dissipation..