Hello Roland, all,
could it be possible for you to have a quick look at the parameter file I am using (attached) to check if there is anything manifestly wrong/unsafe/unrecommended with checkpointing or with other I/O options? In case there are any issues, I can then take care of them and report back to the Frontera people.

Thank you very much in advance,
Lorenzo

Il giorno gio 6 ott 2022 alle ore 15:29 Roland Haas <rhaas@illinois.edu> ha scritto:
Hello Lorenzo,

TACC saved a bit of money on the IO system on Frontera :-) and thus
they now need to fix bugs in documentation.

Yours,
Roland

> Hi Roland,
> thank you, your suggestions are very useful. I was running one process per
> core on more than 200 cores, so that may be part of the issue. Also, I will
> try the one_file_per_group or one_file_per_rank options to reduce the
> performance impact.
>
> The cluster I'm running on is Frontera, and the guidelines to manage I/O
> operations properly on it are here
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://portal.tacc.utexas.edu/tutorials/managingio__;!!DZ3fjg!-IpspO3XOAP7Iq90ewHLXhCVTP8zRBTZV3k6XCsoyypUMszoctdY8pqhv7lN-OrMXRv5iGAFRSV1bmjKrd05VwT-aw$  > in case people are
> interested. I will follow them as closely as I can to avoid similar
> problems in the future.
>
> Thank you very much again,
> Lorenzo
>
> Il giorno gio 6 ott 2022 alle ore 12:52 Roland Haas <rhaas@illinois.edu> ha
> scritto:
>
> > Hello Lorenzo,
> >
> > Unfortunately, Carpet will always write one checkpoint file per MPI
> > rank, there is no way to change that.
> >
> > As you learned the option out_proc_every only affects the out3D_vars
> > output (and possible out_vars 3D output) but never checkpoints.
> >
> > In my opinion, you should be impossible to stress the file system, of a
> > reasonably provisioned cluster, with the checkpoints. Even when running
> > on 32k MPI ranks (and 4k nodes) on BW, checkpoint-recovery was very
> > quick (1min or so) and barely made a blip on the system monitoring
> > radar. Any cluster with sufficiently many nodes to run at scale at
> > 1 file per rank (for a sane number of ranks ie some OpenMP threads)
> > should have a file system capable of taking checkpoints. Of course 1
> > rank per core is no longer "sane" once you go beyond a couple hundred
> > cores.
> >
> > Now writing 1 file per output variable and per MPI rank may be a
> > different thing....
> > In that case out_proc_every should help with out3D_vars. I would also
> > suggest one_file_per_group or even one_file_per_rank for this (see
> > CarpetIOHDF5's param.ccl), which will have less of a performance (no
> > communication) impact than out_proc_every != 1.
> >
> > If the issue is opening many files (again, only for out3D_vars regular
> > output), then you may also see benefits from the different options in:
> >
> > https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://bitbucket.org/eschnett/carpet/pull-requests/34__;!!DZ3fjg!-IpspO3XOAP7Iq90ewHLXhCVTP8zRBTZV3k6XCsoyypUMszoctdY8pqhv7lN-OrMXRv5iGAFRSV1bmjKrd1fZiBWGw$ 
> >
> > https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2364__;!!DZ3fjg!-IpspO3XOAP7Iq90ewHLXhCVTP8zRBTZV3k6XCsoyypUMszoctdY8pqhv7lN-OrMXRv5iGAFRSV1bmjKrd0HNoNnvA$ 
> >
> > Yours,
> > Roland
> > 
> > > Hello,
> > > In order to avoid stressing the filesystem on the cluster I'm running 
> > on, I 
> > > was suggested to avoid writing one output/checkpoint file per MPI process
> > > and instead collecting data from multiple processes before
> > > outputting/checkpointing happens. I found the combination of parameters
> > >
> > > IO::out_mode       = "np"
> > > IO::out_proc_every = 8
> > >
> > > does the job for output files, but I still have one checkpoint file per
> > > process. Is there a similar parameter, or combination of parameters, 
> > which 
> > > can be used for checkpoint files?
> > >
> > > Thank you very much,
> > > Lorenzo Ennoggi 
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting
> > and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://keys.gnupg.net__;!!DZ3fjg!-IpspO3XOAP7Iq90ewHLXhCVTP8zRBTZV3k6XCsoyypUMszoctdY8pqhv7lN-OrMXRv5iGAFRSV1bmjKrd1xKACaIQ$  .
> > 



--
My email is as private as my paper mail. I therefore support encrypting
and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://keys.gnupg.net.