Hello Ian, 

yes, this has happened to me.. I didn't use a shred checkpoint directory, and some runs have started from the initial data again..deleting all folders output-NNNN without a valid termination checkpoint will remedy this?

to use a shared checkpoint directory for future runs: is it sufficient to just use 

io::checkpoint_dir                    = "../checkpoints"
io::recover_dir                         = "../checkpoints"

??

best wishes,

Vassili


On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Ian Hinder <ian.hinder@aei.mpg.de> wrote:

On 23 Jul 2014, at 18:32, Vassilios Mewes <vassilios.mewes@uv.es> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> a simulation has crashed without checkpointing (there was a filesystem error on the cluster)
>
> how can i restart it? do I need to delete the uncompleted output-xxxx and output-xxx-active folder? or is that not necessary and simfactory will automatically find the latest valid checkpoint in simulation time and restart from there?

SimFactory is supposed to recover from this situation gracefully. However, I have in the past seen it notice that there are no checkpoint files in the last restart, and then start again from the initial data.  Perhaps somebody forgot to write a test case for this situation.  This is not a problem if you use a checkpoint directory shared between restarts (i.e. "../checkpoints").  If you are not using a shared checkpoint directory, I recommend deleting the output-NNNN and output-NNNN-active directories/links for the failed restarts.

--
Ian Hinder
http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder