On 12 May 2015, at 17:23, Frank Loeffler <knarf@cct.lsu.edu> wrote:

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 04:53:14PM +0200, Roland Haas wrote:
Frank: best to give it a bit more time before you create the release
branches for simfactory. Ubuntu.cfg as in master currently does not
compile for me on a freshly installed 14.04 virtual machine if I install
only the packages listed at the top (assuming the following packages are
installed) in the cfg file.

I'll wait until Ubuntu compiles. It does not necessarily need to be able
to use the system libraries, but it needs to work both when they are
installed (but not necessarily configured to be used), and when they
are not.

Mac OS with homebrew also has some problems. OpenMPI 1.8.5 was just released (6th May), and Homebrew is using it, since it is the latest version.  There is a problem with huge memory leaks in the orterun process:  (https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/issues/579).  For the tests, this means that the memspeed test can take down the machine, and I assume trying to use cactus for anything serious will also not be possible.

I'm testing now to see if we can compile OpenMPI from the external library, and Barry is seeing if it's possible to ask for the previous version of OpenMPI from Homebrew, which he has verified doesn't have the problem.

MacPorts doesn't have this issue as it is using 1.7.5, which is well-established.

-- 
Ian Hinder