At 2026-09-09 22:18:59, "Steven R. Brandt" <sbrandt@cct.lsu.edu> wrote:
Sure, we can go ahead with email. However, you should probably be sending to users@einsteintoolkit.org to address the group. See:
The current working procedure for contributions is:
- Author(s) contacts the Einstein Toolkit consortium (e.g. through the users or maintainers mail lists) about software that they intend to contribute
- Discussions take place between the maintainers and author(s) to discuss issues above.
One question you need to address at some ponit:
- To focus development and support, optimize resources, and provide best practises, the Einstein Toolkit components should be of current interest to the community.
This is phrased ambiguously, but usually means there's a paper published in a reputable journal somewhere.
--Steve
On 9/9/2026 8:37 AM, Yuhua Li wrote:
Dear Steve,
Thank you for taking the time to look at the thorn and the paper, and forforwarding the evaluation. I have gone through it carefully.
I agree with the two problems you singled out — the missing READS/WRITESclauses and the MPI layout — and most of the other findings are alsocorrect. The evaluation gave me a clear roadmap, and I have now completedthe first, mechanical stage of the rework:
- schedule.ccl: geodesics_integrate now runs with OPTIONS: global anddeclares READS on the ADMBase metric; Geodesic_ParamCheck is actuallyscheduled at CCTK_PARAMCHECK;- interface.ccl: the particle arrays are now DISTRIB=CONSTANT andcheckpointable; the unused CoordGauge inherit is gone;- param.ccl: the hard KerrSchild dependency was removed — the thorn hasits own M and a parameters for the exact mode;- storage now follows particle_n_total instead of particle_n;- code fixes: the 4x4 metric inversion no longer returns a garbage inverseon singular pivots; the interpolation domain guard now matches the6th-order stencil; Cactus logging was moved out of the OpenMP loop;omp.h is guarded by _OPENMP; the parameter prose and the copyrightheaders are fixed;- par/example.par now uses only public thorns and runs on a stock ETcheckout; the README states the current limitations explicitly(single refinement level, unigrid, particle arrays replicated on everyrank).
All of this is pushed to the repository, and the thorn rebuilds and runscleanly.
The remaining, architectural items — correct behaviour under MPI withmore than one rank, interpolation through CarpetInterp/AEILocalInterp, andthe time derivative of the metric from the ADMBase timelevels — are alarger rewrite. I would like to discuss their priority with themaintainers before starting, and I will state the current domain clearlyin the paper as well: unigrid, a single MPI process, stationary or slowlyevolving metrics.
For the ET contribution requirements I still plan to add thedoc/documentation.tex ThornGuide documentation and a test/ case(conservation of E and Lz on a circular Kerr orbit) — a pointer to a goodexample test to follow would be appreciated.
About the weekly meetings: I would honestly prefer not to join, becausemy spoken English — especially listening — is not good enough for a livediscussion, and I cannot change that in the short term. I hope we cancommunicate in writing instead, here on the mailing list or by email; ifa short written summary for one of the meetings would help, I am happy toprovide one.
Thank you again for the constructive feedback.
Best regards,
Yuhua Li
At 2026-09-09 07:07:21, "Steven R. Brandt" <sbrandt@cct.lsu.edu> wrote:
Yuhua,
I had Grok take a look at your thorn and paper. You will find the feedback attached (eval.md). At least some of the things it identifies are valid problems, namely the lack of READS/WRITES clauses in the schedule and MPI support.
You may want to consider joining one of the weekly ET meetings to make your case (I realize that the time will probably be challenging for you).
--Steve
On 9/8/2026 11:00 AM, Yuhua Li wrote:
Dear Steven,
Thank you for the quick and encouraging reply, and for the pointer to thecontribution process.
To answer your question directly: my goal is to have Geodesic included inthe Einstein Toolkit, and I am willing to follow the process described athttps://einsteintoolkit.org/contribute.html step by step. In the meantime,I would be glad if the thorn could be added to the "Thorns we know of"list.
Where the thorn stands with respect to the requirements:
- Documentation: the repository has a README with purpose, build and usageinstructions and a parameter table; the algorithms and the verificationare described in the paper draft (doc/geodesic_paper.pdf).- Examples: par/example.par is a complete, runnable example, and the par/directory contains the parameter files that reproduce every resultreported in the paper. I am happy to add an automated test in the ETtest-suite format — a pointer to a good example test to follow would beappreciated.- Licence: GPLv2+, included as COPYING.- Hosting: the code is on GitHub (https://github.com/wylyhzh/Geodesic).I am open to hosting it at einsteintoolkit.org if that is preferred.
Please let me know what the next step should be — for example, whether thethorn can be placed into an "incoming" repository, and what the reviewwill look at first. I will respond to any requested changes in a timelymanner.
Best regards,
Yuhua Li
At 2026-09-08 22:41:39, "Steven R. Brandt via Users" <users@einsteintoolkit.org> wrote:
Dear Yuhua,
Thank you for writing and for putting the code and the
paper draft in a public repository under GPLv2+. Independent
contributions of this kind are welcome, and a
test-particle geodesic tracker is something we don't have: the ET currently ships
fluid tracers (particle_tracerET) and puncture tracking
(PunctureTracker), but not a timelike geodesic integrator on the 3+1
metric.
Were you hoping to have it included in the ET, or were you just looking
to share the code with the community? If so, we can help you with the process.
Please take a look at https://einsteintoolkit.org/contribute.html
if you haven't already.
If you would like to do something less formal, we can share
your link on our list of "thorns we know of":
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Thorns_we_know_of
Best regards,
Steven R. Brandt
On 9/8/2026 12:28 AM, Yuhua Li via Users wrote:
Dear Einstein Toolkit community,
I am a retired researcher (background in mathematics and computer science)working independently from China. Over the past ten years I have beenbuilding a test-particle geodesic tracker for the Einstein Toolkit, and Iwould like to share it with the community.
The Geodesic thorn integrates geodesics for large numbers of test particlesin Kerr–Schild Cartesian coordinates. It supports (i) the exact Kerr–Schildmetric, independent of the grid (verified symbolically to be the vacuumsolution to machine precision), and (ii) 27-point local Lagrangeinterpolation of the grid metric, so it also works for arbitrary spacetimescarried on the grid (e.g., GRHydro evolutions). The per-particle integrationis fully independent and parallelized with OpenMP (validated with 10^4particles).
The code (GPLv2+), the configuration files used in the validation runs, and apaper draft describing the method and verification are all available in thispublic repository: https://github.com/wylyhzh/Geodesic
I plan to submit the paper to arXiv (gr-qc, cross-list astro-ph.HE) once ithas benefited from the community's feedback.
I would appreciate: (1) feedback on whether the thorn meets ETstandards, and what would be needed to have it listed with the ET thorns;(2) any comments on the paper. I am most comfortable discussing inwriting, so I would prefer to continue the conversation here on themailing list or by email, whichever is more convenient.
I am happy to provide any further information.
Best regards,
Yuhua Li
_______________________________________________ Users mailing list Users@einsteintoolkit.org http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users