Hi Rodrigo,

Thanks for your bug report, for looking into it, and trying to come up with a potential solution.

As Thiago mentioned, this is a known issue. In version 1.4.1 (tagged but not released), the import of the offending module (`tikzplotlitb`) only occurs when the module is needed.
If you want to give it a try, you can install this version of kuibit with:
```
pip install -U git+https://github.com/sbozzolo/kuibit.git@141
```

There is a pull request to `tikzplotlib` that does what you suggested: https://github.com/nschloe/tikzplotlib/pull/604 . However, it has not been merged yet. Unfortunately, `tikzplotlib` hasn't seen too much work as of lately...

Please, let us know if you encounter further issues.

Best,
Gabriele

On Mon, May 6, 2024 at 7:39 AM Thiago Assumpção <assumpcaothiago@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Rodrigo,

I believe you are experiencing the same issue reported here: https://github.com/Sbozzolo/kuibit/issues/37

A possible workaround is to use kuibit in an environment with matplotlib 3.7.

Best,
Thiago

On Mon, May 6, 2024 at 10:12 AM Rodrigo Berté <berte.rodrigo@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a new user of kuibit and I would like to report a bug (at least that is how it appears to me) and a possible solution to it.

I am running Ubuntu through the Windows subsystem for Linux (Windows 10) and when trying to run a kuibit script to plot some data from the single star simulation tov_EV (https://github.com/EinsteinToolkit/jupyter-et/blob/master/tutorial-server/notebooks/CactusTutorial.ipynb), the following error is shown:

File "/home/USER/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/tikzplotlib/_axes.py", line 3, in <module>
    from matplotlib.backends.backend_pgf import (
ImportError: cannot import name 'common_texification' from 'matplotlib.backends.backend_pgf'

Apparently the function "common_texification" has been discontinued and replaced by "_tex_escape" (as shown in matplotlib.backends.backend_pgf in the Spyder files - the Python compiler I use in Windows).

@_api.deprecated("3.6")
def common_texification(text):
    return _tex_escape(text)

So, by replacing the instances of "common_texification" (6 I believe) by "_tex_escape" in the _axes.py module of the tikzplotlib library, the kuibit functions in Ubuntu seem to run smoothly.

I am a relatively inexperienced user of Ubuntu/WSL/Python and I am not sure how much this is considered a bug, but I hope that this could be useful for others.

Many thanks,
Rodrigo

--

Dr. Rodrigo Berté

Goiânia-GO, Brazil
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
Users@einsteintoolkit.org
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
Users@einsteintoolkit.org
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users