Dear all,

I'm trying to solve a wave equation that describes radial oscillations of a TOV star, depending on radius r and t in Llama multipatch coordinates (Thornburg04).

The equation has a structure of

Ẍ=AX′+BX″+CX\ddot{X} = A X' + B X'' + C X

I rewrote it as set of coupled equations to evolve it with the MoL thorn:

X˙=Π

H˙=Π′\dot{H} = \Pi'

Π˙=AH+BH′+CX\dot{\Pi} = AH + B H' +C X

or as noted in my code as it is attached:

Pidot = A*H + B*drH + C*Xi
Hdot = drPi
Xidot = Pi

For MoL registered as evolved variables are Xi with rhs Xidot, Pi with rhs Pidot and H with rhs Hdot.

The spatial derivatives drH and drPi are also calculated during the schedule of MoL_CalcRHS in my thorn.

Boundary conditions are applied for r>R and an interval near the TOV radius r=R.


if (grid_r(i,j,k) >= (TOV_surface - rprec) .AND. grid_r(i,j,k) <= (TOV_surface + rprec) )then
          H(i,j,k) = 0
          drPi(i,j,k) = 0
          else if ( grid_r(i,j,k) > (TOV_surface + rprec) ) then
          Xi(i,j,k) = 0
          Pi(i,j,k) = 0
          H(i,j,k) = 0

end if

if (grid_r(i,j,k) > (TOV_surface + rprec) )then
          Xidot(i,j,k) = 0
          Hdot(i,j,k) = 0
          Pidot(i,j,k) = 0
          else if (grid_r(i,j,k) >= (TOV_surface - rprec) .AND. grid_r(i,j,k) <= (TOV_surface + rprec) )then
          Hdot(i,j,k) = 0
          Pidot(i,j,k) = B(i,j,k)*drH(i,j,k)  + C(i,j,k)*Xi(i,j,k)

end if


Problems occur close to the surface of the star. My evolved variables start do diverge close to the surface after a few iterations. Looking at the data it seems that the divergence is  founded by the values of H. I tried following things to encircle the issues:

So far I don't know how to remedy this issue, but maybe I'm overlooking something obvious.

Does anyone have an idea on what I could try?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards and merry Christmas,

Severin Frank