Hi Ian,
Yes, I do have a local installation of the hwloc library.
And I think you've really hit the
nail on the head in your diagnosis. When I went through the
make file, and also looked
at the error message my understanding was that Cactus is
trying to bring in numa
when linking, and it looks for it in the wrong place.
Running the command
dpkg --get-selections | grep hwloc, this is the output I
get:
hwloc-nox install
libhwloc-dev:amd64 install
libhwloc5:amd64 install
I'll implement the suggestions you gave to me, try to build
again and get back here
with some feedback.
Hi Dumsani,
Glad to be of help! By the way, you replied just to me,
not to the mailing list.
On 26/06/2014 12:22, Ian Hinder wrote:
On 26 Jun 2014, at 11:56, Dumsani
Ndzinisa <g14n8326@campus.ru.ac.za>
wrote:
Hi everyone,
I have a fresh checkout of the latest stable release of
the Einstein Toolkit
(ET_2014_05) which I'm trying to build on my laptop. The
laptop is
running on Linux Mint 17, and I have adapted
configuration options from
the bundled "ubuntu.cfg" file. On my machine, I have gcc
version 4.8.2,
g++ version 4.8.2, and gfortran 4.8.2 as well.
However, when building the toolkit (using the thornlist
"einsteintoolkit.th)
the build always fails no matter what I try. For
instance, on my very first
attempt, I didn't use any of my locally installed
libraries but opted
for the
ones bundled with the toolkit. There was one error
message in that case
pointing to the PAPI library having failed to get
configured. I then decided
to comment out this thorn from the thornlist (in the .th
file). From there
on, still building with the bundled external libraries,
I have been
persistently
getting an error message (in the linking stage) to the
effect a certain
library (lnuma) could not be found. Below is the error
message that gets
returned onto the screen:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnuma
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
/home/dumsani/Cactus/lib/make/make.configuration:147:
recipe for target
'/home/dumsani/Cactus/exe/cactus_test-ET6' failed
make[1]: *** [/home/dumsani/Cactus/exe/cactus_test-ET6]
Error 1
Makefile:254: recipe for target 'test-ET6' failed
make: *** [test-ET6] Error 2
I would appreciate if anyone with some idea came to my
rescue here.
Cactus and the ET are still very new to me. I've been
stuck on this for
almost a week now. And I am of the idea that it
shouldn't be taking me
that long. Together with my advisor, we have made a
checkout of Cactus
(Llama thornlist) earlier and he did oriente me to the
process until we
had a successful build (we got the executable) for the
llama thornlist. So,
now the idea is for me to get some more practice with
Cactus/ET by
checking out the full toolkit, configuring, building and
then running some
example simulations provided in the toolkit.
Hi,
Can you try commenting out the thorn "hwloc" from your
thornlist? Grepping through the source for "numa", the
only use of this library seems to be hwloc. hwloc is a
thorn which assists in binding software threads to
physical computational cores and processes to processor
sockets for efficiency, but it is not necessary for the
toolkit to run.
There might be something wrong with the hwloc configure
script
(Cactus/arrangements/ExternalLibraries/hwloc/configure.sh).
The relevant lines appear to be
# Add libnuma manually, if
necessary
if grep -q '[-]lnuma' ${HWLOC_LIB_DIR}/libhwloc.la
2>/dev/null; then
if ! echo '' ${HWLOC_LIBS} '' | grep -q ' numa ';
then
HWLOC_LIBS="${HWLOC_LIBS} numa"
fi
fi
This seems to be attempting to add the numa library to the
link line if it is found in libhwloc.la. The error
message indicates that numa has been added to the link
line, but the library is not available on the link path.
The most recent change to hwloc, in April (i.e. before the
release), is:
"Correct detecting whether -lnuma is necessary" (http://git.barrywardell.net/?p=arrangements/ExternalLibraries/hwloc.git;a=commitdiff;h=4a3b694661f69df842c12a1e188e42f546dd92e2)
author
eschnett
<eschnett@152c557c-6d84-4bc7-9b1a-dfca721279c7>
Sat, 19 Apr 2014 23:07:32 +0200 (21:07 +0000)
committer eschnett
<eschnett@152c557c-6d84-4bc7-9b1a-dfca721279c7>
Sat, 19 Apr 2014 23:07:32 +0200 (21:07 +0000)
Probably Erik has some insight into this.
We have an automated build and test process running under
Ubuntu 12.04, and this is working fine. It also builds
hwloc from source, rather than relying on the Ubuntu
version. Do you happen to have hwloc installed? Maybe it
is conflicting with the self-built version?
dpkg
-l hwloc
We should probably upgrade the build and test system to
Ubuntu 14.04, as that is now the latest stable release.
Maybe something in Ubuntu has changed with the hwloc
library.