Kiki

There was a discussion regarding where to place checkpoint files. I originally intended them to reside within the corresponding output-NNNN directories, and this required setting the checkpoint directory to $parfile, same as the output directory. However, since then others made the point that they rather wanted all checkpoint files of a simulation in the same directory, because this enables Cactus to remove the checkpoint files of previous restarts -- this makes restarts less independent, but can save disk space. This requires setting the checkpoint directory to "../checkpoints".

I don't recall what changes were necessary in Simfactory to support this, but there may have been some.

However, Simfactory always expected all output directories to be set to $parfile, or to subdirectories of $parfile. It may be that things worked without doing so, but I never used or tested this myself.

-erik

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Kyriaki Dionysopoulou <kdionyso@aei.mpg.de> wrote:
Hi all,

I recently updated my simfactory and since then I'm not able to restart from a checkpoint if I don't specify the checkpoint output and recover directories explicitly in the parfile. Since before I updated I was able to do that without specifying the checkpoint output/recover directories I'm just wondering if there is an intentional change in  simfactory's default behavior or if this is a bug that I should report  on TRAC. I attach a simple test parfile that reproduces the problem and a basic thornlist.


     


The default location for the checkpoint output/recover directories should be output-XXXX.


Cheers,

Kiki
--
Kyriaki Dionysopoulou
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
Albert Einstein Institute
Am Muehlenberg 1
D-14476 Potsdam
Germany

Tel.  : +49 331 567 7185
Fax  : +49 331 567 7298
email : Kyriaki.Dionysopoulou@aei.mpg.de






_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
Users@einsteintoolkit.org
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users




--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter@cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/