Yosef

There was a small change -- we added an additional attribute that makes it easier (or possible) to reconstruct the buffer region, so that it can be excluded from visualization. I don't think VisIt makes use of this information yet. Performance wise this should make no difference at all.

HDF5 also allows setting parameters that influence caching. Maybe VisIt differs in its behaviour there? But now I'm just guessing; I'm hoping that others might know something for real.

-erik


On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 3:49 PM, Yosef Zlochower <yosef@astro.rit.edu> wrote:
Thanks.
   I was trying to load the same file under both versions of visit.
Both version seem to use hdf5 version 9, which is the one automatically
downloaded and installed by the build_visit script. The output file was
created using the ET_2015_11 branch. Has the carpet output format
changed since then?

On 06/04/2018 03:36 PM, Erik Schnetter wrote:
> Yosef
>
> Without knowing any details: Newer HDF5 versions (1.10 and later) are
> supposed to be more efficient in handling metadata. I do not know
> whether this applies to writing as well as to reading. It might be that
> your VisIt versions are linked against different HDF5 library versions.
> (I assume that you are testing against the same HDF5 file.)
>
> -erik
>
>
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 2:43 PM, Yosef Zlochower <yosef@astro.rit.edu
> <mailto:yosef@astro.rit.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>         I was trying to load CarpetIOHDF5 2D data with visit 2.10 and
>     2.13. I
>     compiled both using the build_visit scripts with the --hdf5 option. The
>     2.13 takes much longer to load.
>
>     For example, with a file containing 3 timelevels, 2.10 takes under a
>     second to load, and 2.13 takes about 7 seconds. This gets much worse as
>     the number of time levels is increased. It took 2 minutes to open a
>     file
>     with 10 timelevels in 2.13, but under a second with  2.10
>
>     Has anyone else seen this? Is there a workaround?
>
>
>     --
>     Dr. Yosef Zlochower
>     Center for Computational Relativity and Gravitation
>     Associate Professor
>     School of Mathematical Sciences
>     Rochester Institute of Technology
>     85 Lomb Memorial Drive
>     Rochester, NY 14623
>
>     Office:74-2067
>     Phone: +1 585-475-6103
>
>     yosef@astro.rit.edu <mailto:yosef@astro.rit.edu>
>
>     CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including
>     attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it
>     is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
>     Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
>     of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities
>     other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this
>     in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this
>     information.
>     _______________________________________________
>     Users mailing list
>     Users@einsteintoolkit.org <mailto:Users@einsteintoolkit.org>
>     http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>     <http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Erik Schnetter <schnetter@cct.lsu.edu <mailto:schnetter@cct.lsu.edu>>
> http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/
>
_______________________________________________
Users mailing list
Users@einsteintoolkit.org
http://lists.einsteintoolkit.org/mailman/listinfo/users



--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter@cct.lsu.edu>
http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/personal/eschnetter/