On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Luca Baiotti <
baiotti@ile.osaka-u.ac.jp> wrote:
Hello,
I was looking into the param.ccl of CarpetIOASCII (hg version) and found
some deprecated parameters:
BOOLEAN out3D_ghosts "Output ghost zones (DEPRECATED)"
{
} "yes"
BOOLEAN out3D_outer_ghosts "Output outer boundary zones (assuming that
there are nghostzones boundary points (DEPRECATED)"
{
} "yes"
In what sense are they deprecated? I don't do 3D ASCII output, but I
think that setting the above parameters to "no" would be better (see
also below).
These are deprecated because they do not calculate the number of ghost
zones correctly; they make some assumptions that hold in many cases,
but may either output ghost zones or not output real grid points in
some cases.
Furthermore,
BOOLEAN out1D_d "Do output along the diagonal" STEERABLE = ALWAYS
{
} "yes"
should also default to no, I suggest.
Finally, I would also make the default of:
BOOLEAN output_ghost_points "Output ghost points"
{
} "yes"
to "no". This would also make the script
CarpetIOASCII/src/util/Carpet2ygraph.pl
work again (see other message about Carpet2ygraph.pl in this mailing list).
Except for debugging, is there any advantage in outputting ghost zones?
That is correct, one only wants to look at ghost zones for debugging.
Do you want to open a TRAC request, or suggest this again after the
release? Carpet is now certainly mature enough so that debugging
output does not need to be the default any more.