Hi Peter,

Thanks so much! I asked because I'd like to try running simulations with the modified shift condition described in this paper (second page): https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0511103

Some terms that feature in the usual gamma driver equations are dropped, and the lapse appears in the time derivative of beta. Would I have to make changes to the Kranc code in order to implement such a condition?

Best,

Gwyneth


On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Peter Diener <diener@cct.lsu.edu> wrote:
Hi Gwyneth,

The parameters to control the gamma driver shift condition is something
that we would like to make more transparent. I have to go and look at
the Kranc code, in order to figure out how things work.

When ShiftBCoeff = 1 and ShiftAdvectionCoeff = 1 (both are the default
values) we are evolving the gamma driver shift that is listed on the
wiki you point to.

ShiftGammaCoeff should be set to 0.75 (it's the 3/4 in the equation for
the shift). It's unfortunate that 0.75 is not the default value for
ShiftGammaCoeff, as this is the only value that is ever used (as far as
I know). BetaDriver is the eta value in the eqaution for B.
ShiftAlphaPower is a leftover parameter from before the moving puncture
approach came into use and currently has no effect in the code.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

  Peter

On Tuesday 2016-12-27 10:31, Gwyneth Allwright wrote:

Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 10:31:55
From: Gwyneth Allwright <allgwy001@myuct.ac.za>
To: users@einsteintoolkit.org
Subject: [Users] McLachlan Shift Condition


Hi All,

I'm new to the Einstein Toolkit and would like to double check what the
ML_BSSN parameters ShiftGammaCoeff, BetaDriver and ShiftAlphaPower refer to.
I tried looking in the param.ccl file, but it still wasn't 100% clear to me.

As far as I understand, the shift condition used by McLachlan is the gamma
driver, given here: http://grwiki.physics.ncsu.edu/wiki/Shift_Conditions.
What value of eta does ML_BSSN use?

Thanks,

Gwyneth


Disclaimer - University of Cape Town This e-mail is subject to UCT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT, it is sent by the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security incidents or abuse via csirt@uct.ac.za