Actually I volunteered to test using BitBucket hosting for the ET. I am less worried about scriptability now because I discovered that there is a python wrapper (
https://bitbucket-api.readthedocs.org/en/latest/bitbucket.html#module-bitbucket.repository) to the bitbucket REST interface (
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Use+the+Bitbucket+REST+APIs). This means you can write very simple python code to perform operations on bitbucket repositories such as creating them and deleting them. This makes it easier to manage larger numbers of repositories. I have taken some of the existing Git mirrors that Barry and I have been using for 2 years (see
http://git.barrywardell.net) and mirrored them to BitBucket. See
https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit. This was fairly easy to do with a few lines of bash and python. Write access to the repositories would be handled using BitBucket accounts, and could be managed either globally for the EinsteinToolkit "team", applying to all repositories, or on a per-repository basis if that were necessary. Assuming that we wanted separate Einstein Toolkit and Cactus bitbucket teams, this would be important for Cactus because write access to the flesh would be more strictly controlled than write access to other parts of the code.