Hi,
Yes, I have observed this as well. I saw it originally with CTGamma when I first started using Llama, and now see it with McLachlan. I believe I have looked at 2D movies of Psi4r and seen the junk radiation reflecting off the interpatch boundary at r ~ 45 M, hitting the BHs, and causing them to emit high frequency noise in the waves.
Note that the boundary condition "generating" the reflections in this case would be the Cartesian boundary at x^i = 45 M, which takes its data from the angular grid. I'm not sure why this is worse than in a pure Cartesian run, but it might be because the high frequencies are dissipated away by being under-resolved in the wave zone before they get to the extraction spheres in the Cartesian case.
I think this can be improved by moving the spherical inner radius from 40 M to something larger, e.g. 80 M. I have also tried adjusting the angular resolution, but this doesn't seem to help very much. Another option is to switch to using constant Courant factor, which will give lower time resolution in the wave zone, and hence reduce the highest frequency oscillations.
There are two possible explanations for why the wiggles get worse once the waves reach higher amplitude. One is that the noise is sourced only once, initially, from the junk radiation, and the effects simply diminish with time, so by the time the wave amplitude is large, you cannot see it any more. However, I think I have observed that the noise is much worse in longer runs, indicating that instead, perhaps the reason is that the noise has the same amplitude a certain time after the start of the run, independent of the separation, but for longer runs, the real waves are weaker, so the noise is relatively stronger. The noise amplitude being related to the junk amplitude would fit with this.
I don't know why the noise would get worse with 4th order. A 4th order run is not only different by the finite differencing order. It also has fewer ghost (and hence buffer) zones, and is usually run with lower order dissipation. It may be interesting to run the 4th order case with everything else the same as in the 8th order case (i.e. with 5 ghost zones, and 9th order dissipation) to see if it is really the finite differencing order, or something else. By changing the number of buffer zones, the grid structure can change dramatically in some cases.
In your plot, I can't actually see any wiggles in the 8th order case.
It would be really good to find a solution to this.